http://www.tvokids.com/games Great Games from TVO KIDS!
/www.cbc.ca/kids/ Another great source of fun and educational games!
http://galenet.galegroup.com/servlet/KidsInfoBits;jsessionid=5DDA884F9C0258722B7C227309624C95?locID=ko_pl_hhpl Kids Info Bits - great for homework help!
Username is hastingshighlandspl Password is libra
Tips for Parents: As a parent, you play a big part in helping your children learn. You are your children's "first" and most important teacher. Children need time with you. When they spend time with you and get the attention they need from you, they feel more secure and confident. They will have higher self-esteem too. Creating a safe and loving family environment lays the foundation for life-long learning and emotional well-being.
What can I do to help my children learn to read?
- Let them see you reading
- Share books together
- Point out the print that is all around you. Look at street signs, grocery labels and posters
- Make scrapbooks from old magazines and photos
- Cook together
Steps for Reading With Your Children
- Choose a book from the library or from your home. It's even better if you let your children choose
- Take turns reading aloud, or tell a story by looking at the pictures
- Talk about what's happening in the story
- Help your children with difficult words
- Praise your children
By talking and listening to your child, you are creating a foundation for good communication habits that will help make them more confident, and be more successful at school